South Africa 5 Rand 2011 90th Anniversary of the South African Reserve Bank
The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) was established in 1921 and in 2011 celebrates its 90th anniversary. A special commemorative coin was minted by the South African mint to commemorate the occasion. The coin highlights various coins (as well as a banknote) that the South African Mint and the Reserve Bank have issued in the past.
From left to right, the following coins are featured on the commemorative 5 Rand coin:
1. The image of St. George Slaying The Dragon By Benedetto Pistrucci -- as featured on the reverse of a South African gold sovereign.
2. The reverse of the bi-metallic 5 Rand coin that was minted in celebration of Nelson Mandela's 90th Birthday in 2008.
3. The reverse of the 2010 1oz gold 100 Rand Natura coin which depicts the White Rhinoceros.
4. The reverse of the 20 cent coin from South Africa's third decimal coin series - featuring the Kind Protea -- one of South Africa's national symbols.
5. The reverse of the South African farthing (1/4 Penny), in use from 1923 to 1960, which depicts two sparrows on a mimosa branch.
The coin also features The 100 Pound banknote which was issued during the tender of Michiel Hendrik de Kock who was the third Governor of the South African Reserve Bank.